8th Grade PARCC Test Prep Vocabulary Terms
1. theme-noun. central idea of a work (the lesson)
2. antagonist-noun. the character who works against the main character in the story
3. logical fallacy-noun. an idea that is misleading or false
4. caricature-noun. extreme description of people or things to get a reaction
5. genre-noun. a category of literary or artistic work
6. false assumption-noun. a belief without proof
7. metaphor-noun. a comparison between two unlike things
8. rhyme scheme-noun. the pattern of rhymes in a poem
9. thesis-noun. the primary position taken by a writer or speaker
10. dynamic character-noun. a character who grows, learns, or changes as a result of the story’s action (i.e. Tally)
11. static character-a character that does not change from the beginning of the story to the end (i.e. Dr. Cable)
12. simile-a comparison of two things using “like” or “as” (i.e. “hungry like a wolf”)
13. affix-noun. a word part added to a word or root to change the meaning
14. prefix-noun. a word part placed at the beginning of a word to qualify its meaning (i.e. de-,non-,re-)
15. suffix-a word part placed at the end of a word to form another word (i.e. –ation, -ing)
All three assignments are due on Friday, April 27, 2018 for a homework grade.
Write a dialogue between two people using 8 PARCC prep vocabulary terms.
Write 10 detailed sentences using 10 PARCC prep vocabulary terms.
Vocabulary quiz on Monday.