8th Grade Weekly Vocabulary Words
1. metaphor-noun. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase meaning one kind of idea is used in place of another to suggest a similarity
2. figurative language-noun. speech that departs from literal meaning in order to achieve a special effect; figures of speech
3. commentary-noun. a series of comments or notes
4. minors-noun. not having reached the age to have full civil rights
5. occupation-noun. taking possession of an area
6. style-noun. a way of expressing oneself
7. alacrity-noun. cheerful readiness to do something
9. –ity-Latin suffix. State or quality of
10. covet-noun. to wish for greatly or with envy
All four homework assignments are due on Friday, December 15, 2017 for a homework grade.
Option 1: What does Gary Soto mean when he says he "recognized a few of the people...in the film"?
Option 2: Research. What is a homonym? List several examples.
Option 1: Create a story using all 10 vocabulary words.
Option 2: Did Gary Soto and his mother have an option of choosing other work?
Option 1: What is Gary Soto's attitude toward working in the fields?
Option 2: Choose 5 vocabulary words and create an acrostic poem for them that help you to understand the meaning of the word.
Option 1: What conclusions can you draw about Gary Soto's family?
Option 2: Write 10 detailed sentences using 10 vocabulary words.
Read for 30 minutes.